The Balsells Mobility program has a number (usually 8) of travel fellowships available for students to conduct their project (TFG, TFM) in engineering at UC Irvine. Applicants must be citizens of Spain, permanent residents of Catalonia for at least 12 months at the time of submitting the application, and current students from a university in Catalonia who fluently speak and write English, Catalan and Spanish. Applicants must provide proof of additional financial support in order to receive a U.S. J-1 visa. Start dates are Feb 1 and Sep 1. The duration of the stay is 6 months and the travel award is $1,100 per month. Applicants should begin the process about 12 months prior to the desired starting date. There are no absolute deadlines to submit applications but generally all positions for the following academic year are filled by April of the previous academic year. Applications are reviewed as they are received.
Applicants should have a GPA of at least 7 on the scale of 10 in their B.S. (grau) studies.
1) Prepare a Statement of Purpose (SOP) describing your academic background and research interests. Write your name, date, and your desired start date at the top of you SOP.
2) Submit your CV, SOP, and an unofficial copy of your transcript, in that order, as a single PDF attachment via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . In both your email message and in your SOP identify one or more potential advisors in the HSSoE or DBSoICS at UCI.
3) If you have it, provide proof of English language proficiency; a TOEFL score (min 80) or IELTS score (min 7) is preferred. Otherwise a Cambridge Score or an interview via teleconference may be accepted. Include this proof as the last page of your single PDF.
4) Ask your school to separately send your official transcript to email@example.com
5) Once your application is provisionally accepted, you must contact the potential advisors by email and secure the commitment of one to be your advisor for the project. See how to address professors in this link.
6) Once you are approved to conduct your project at UCI, we will send you documents to obtain your J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid.
Priority for the Balsells Mobility Fellowship will be given to students who plan to apply to the Balsells Graduate Fellowship. Applicants should indicate their willingness to apply for the Balsells graduate fellowship in their SOP. As a mobility student, you will be responsible for obtaining your own housing. The UCI housing office can help you in this regard:
http://www.housing.uci.edu/ but note that several housing units are reserved for enrolled graduate students.
You will not enroll in any courses while attending UCI as a visiting student working on your project.
For additional questions, contact:
California-Catalonia Engineering Programs